annablack

This blog is about finding time... time to draw and share. I live in London and work in publishing but also teach mindfulness-based stress reduction to general public groups. I also love writing - fiction and poetry - knitting, sewing, anything which involves making something. I used to do loads of drawing all the way through school but since then it's been harder and very much in fits and starts. I'm back into it now and that feels good.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

W/C Pencil Landscape from photograph




This is another w/c pencil landscape using a reference photograph. I did it last week and it's interesting having left it for a few days and now seeing side by side with the photograph I can see areas I'd make darker / lighter. I wasn't so much interested as getting a faithful representation of the scene as getting a good range of values / colours and sense of space. I did do a quick thumbnail value sketch before I started - this is something I am trying to do now. Not sure it helps that much in terms of the final result but at least it gets me thinking about values at the start. I also took my time with this and dried each layer with a hair dryer in between so as to make it easier to work on. Everytime I use the pencils I learn something more!

4 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

What a gorgeous painting!!!!!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Great work..keep it up!!!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Brenda Yarborough said...

Wow - it's gorgeous!! How delightful to find you as I, too, am working through Kate's book, Watercolor Pencil Magic.
You have a delightful blog and I look forward to checking in again.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Genine said...

Wonderful work. I've just discoverd your blog and enjoy it!

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home