annablack

This blog is about finding time... time to draw and share. I live in London and work in publishing but also teach mindfulness-based stress reduction to general public groups. I also love writing - fiction and poetry - knitting, sewing, anything which involves making something. I used to do loads of drawing all the way through school but since then it's been harder and very much in fits and starts. I'm back into it now and that feels good.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Flowering meadow exercise in watercolour pencils


I used a photograph as a starting point for this - partly because I wanted to do something similar to one of the exercises in Watercolour Pencil Magic so I could learn and be a bit more disciplined about the process. This time I dried each layer before moving on to the next. I like the way the flowers recede into the distance and I like the trees individually but they don't really work in this composition as they are too much 'garden cultivated' trees rather than wild. I have to confess I did deviate from the photograph and just got a bit carried away with trying out different ways to paint foliage. Still that's okay - it was meant to be a learning exercise not a piece of art (I have to keep telling myself to let go of the need for things to be perfect every time...) Looking at this now I don't think have got enough of a value range - I found it difficult to get the darks and if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. I think perhaps I should have carried on layering?????

1 Comments:

Blogger laserone_ said...

Oh I really like this flower drawing. The colors are great. :)

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home